Senior Club Counsel Update
June 12, 2020
I wanted to give you an update on how the senior club counsel is going, and keep a running list of Minutes available.
We held elections and we have picked a passionate group to lead through the USAR chapter 11 transformation. The chapter 11 process seems to be going about as well as one could hope.
Terms of reference have been adopted.
Elections have been held.
Chair - Kirk Tate
Vice-Chair - Ken Pape
Secretary - Rick Humm
Treasurer - Jill Williamson
June 2nd 2020 Minutes - 200602 SCR Council Mtg Minutes.pdf
Initially, the following Standing Committees will be established:
The Operations and Governance committee is chaired by the Council Vice-Chair and is responsible for:
• oversight of governance practices of Senior Club Rugby unions and match organizers;
• interconnecting governing bodies and match organizers for sustainable, long-term governance;
• developing standards and empowering autonomous governance practices by unions, including but not
limited to, proper elections, annual filings, bylaws, financial health, and membership reporting;
The Financial Oversight, Risk & Audit Committee is chaired by the Council Treasurer is responsible for:
• proposing annual budgets and rolling three-year financial plans for Council adoption;
• oversight and auditing of the finances of the Council,
• managing Council Risk programs, including risk mitigation and Council insurance programs;
• negotiating the percentage allocation and funding responsibility for any resources shared with USAR’s
other divisions (i.e., cost center accounting rules / allocations);
• monitoring USA Rugby financials and reporting areas of concern.
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee is responsible for:
• ensuring Equity and Inclusion is a strategic priority of the Council, its committees, and member unions
• reviewing and supporting gender equity in the membership of the Council and its committees.
• contributing to the equitable application of Council programs and standards;
• working with the Treasurer in the development of Council annual budgets and rolling three-year plans
The Competitions Committee is responsible for:
• Match Organizer responsibilities in Senior Club Rugby National and Regional Championship
• empowering the autonomous conduct and management of competitions by union match organizers
• the development of annual competition standards and regulations in a timely and public manner;
• empowering the autonomous management of Union Club competitions while sustaining development of
national playoff structures;
• hearing and deciding cross / inter-competition disputes and appeal of competitive matters;
• empowering the autonomous conduct and management of Match Officials by union and match organizers
and local referee organizations;
• updating Senior Club Rugby Laws of the Game and Game Management Guidelines in compliance with
World Rugby and USA Rugby law changes, directives and interpretations.
The Eligibility Committee is responsible for:
• the development of annual eligibility regulations in a timely and public manner;
• empowering the autonomous conduct and management of eligibility standards by unions and other match
• reviewing requests for waivers of eligibility in a consistent and public manner, to the extent allowable
under privacy standards;
The Discipline Committee is responsible for:
• advising USA Rugby in the development of Disciplinary Procedures for Senior Club Rugby;
• empowering the autonomous conduct and management of disciplinary standards by union match
• hearing any disciplinary appeals arising from National Championships and coordinating the hearing of any
disciplinary appeals that are directed to the Council by member unions;
The Training & Development Committee is responsible for:
• liaising with the USAR National Office and Unions to develop and administer training, education and
• supporting delivery of training, education and development programs, camps, festivals and courses with
and through the Unions;
• communicating advice for the identification, enhancement, and maintenance of proper rugby facilities.
The Referee and Laws Committee is responsible for:
• liaising with the Match Official/Referee Societies or organizations to develop and administer training,
education and administration resources;
• in conjunction with the Competitions Committee, oversee Match Official responsibilities in Senior Club
Rugby National and Regional competitions;