Coronavirus Update March 12th 2020
March 12, 2020
CGRU to suspend play for two weeks.
"We will be suspending all CGRU matches for the next few weeks. We do not know what this means yet for our conference games, the playoffs, or the National Championships."
Since we have received no word from USA Rugby regarding the National Playoffs, no decision can be made about the CGRU or South playoffs. We hope to resume the season at a later date when it is deemed safe to do so.
This was a difficult decision but with the cancellation of professional and college sports as well as suspension of play in other unions, this was the decision that was reached.
It is out of care for our CGRU family, that we decided to suspend games for the next 2 weeks at least. This suspension is effective immediately, so we will not host the games originally planned for this weekend or next. We will constantly reevaluate this, but at this point, March 28th will be the earliest we will resume play.
The league has considered many options to the coronavirus pandemic. In the best interest of public health that we reduce everyone’s likelihood of exposure, in the hope of slowing the rate of growth of the virus. It is our fervent hope that an aggressive early response to this crisis will shorten the window of greatest risk and allow us all to return to a state of normal operations that much sooner.
In the coming weeks, we will determine our plans for the balance of the season. In due course, we will have comprehensive answers for the schedule of remaining games and playoffs.
Will games be rescheduled?
Are current plan is to evaluate the schedule and our desire is to reschedule the matches.
If games cannot be rescheduled, what result would be tabulated?
We are looking at all options to come up with the most fair and balanced way to determine that if it comes down to needing to do that.
How will points count if clubs have an uneven number of matches played?
We would try and minimize or eliminate that through rescheduling priorities, otherwise we would look at all options to come up with the most fair and balanced approach.
Is the CGRU, South, USA National Championships going to be cancelled?
It is unknown at the time of this writing. We would do all we can to have the CGRU championship.