October 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
October 15, 2018
Carolinas Geographic Rugby Union
Monthly Board of Directors Conference Call
Wednesday October 3, 2018
Attending: T. Hardy, D. Morris, Turtle, A. George, K. Ting, P. Dennehy, E. Perkins, A. Cox, R. Bortins
Welcome (T. Hardy)
First meeting of the new board, clean slate, no ongoing business
Collegiate Women’s Competitions (A. George)
Schedule is a work in progress, still not in CMS. Three teams have been negatively affected by Hurricane Florence which has created issues with the schedule. Working to sort through it.
Once schedule is in CMS, will have it added to the CGRU website with the other competitions.
Men’s D2 (E.Perkins)
No issues with CMS. Clemson JV needs to change a number of scheduled matches due to conflicts with the football schedule. Once dates are set, they will be adjusted in CMS.
Men’s D3 (P. Dennehy) -
Three matches were cancelled due to Hurricane Florence. Two of the three have been rescheduled. Waiting for a makeup date for the Charlotte Barbarians/Camp Lejeune match.
Discussion regarding the issue with the Columbia/Fort Bragg match on September 29th. Fort Bragg failed to notify their assigned referee, so a certified referee was not there to call the match. Teams went ahead and still played using players as referees.
Policy dictates that this would be a forfeit by Bragg for not having a referee for the match. Clubs were given the option to reschedule the match with Bragg travelling to play Columbia and Bragg paying for the referee. Columbia declined and requested that they receive the forfeit win. Other issues were raised in regards to this match. Columbia was unable to enter their rosters into CMS and were getting error messages. They reported it to T. Hardy and it was a known issue that was affecting some clubs. Easy fix. Bragg also noted that Columbia only had half of their players at kickoff. Players were delayed getting on base due to the length of time it takes to get a pass. T. Hardy - Experienced this first hand. Entry process onto Bragg is much longer than at other bases. Something that Bragg needs to communicate to their opponents so that they can plan accordingly and arrive early. Discussion continued on how to record the match in CMS. Whether the result of the non-sanctioned match should stand (a win by Columbia) or as a forfeit victory. Group voted unanimously that the match should be recorded as a forfeit victory to Columbia in CMS, 28-0 with four converted tries, so that they receive five competition points. However, the match will be considered a “played forfeit” since the clubs played a match. No further sanctions required for Fort Bragg.
Men’s D4 (T. Hardy)
One D4 match rescheduled due to Hurricane Florence
New Bern is now USAR compliant
First D4 match is on October 13th
D4 clubs voted to allow Wake Tech to enter a team in D4 contingent on them getting USAR compliant.
Wake Tech running into some delays with their school administration. No exact date for when they will get through the process. Making the recommendation that they arrange games with our D4 clubs, but wait until next season to join D4.
Women’s Competitions (K. Ting)
- Women’s D2
- Multiple rescheduled matches due to Hurricane Florence
- Asheville dropped out of the matrix due to low playing numbers. They currently have 14 players registered. They are going to keep their existing schedule and continue to play matches so that they stay active.
- Discussion on adding a Women’s D3 competition next year. Multiple new and/or developing Women’s clubs in the CGRU that need an entry point into competitions.
- Cape Fear, Triad, Camp Lejeune, Greenville, Clayton all in various stages of development. Enough clubs to start a D3 competition.
- D3 Women have a National Championship pathway, so clubs must all follow USAR regulations.
- South does not have any other Women’s D3 competitions, so CGRU would be the only one offering. Which means that a CGRU Women’s D3 side would potentially get automatic placement into Eastern Championship.
- All seem to be in favor of adding Women’s D3 for 2019/2020. Will continue to discuss during monthly conference calls and explore feasibility.
- Women’s D2
- Disciplinary Committee/Refs (A. Cox)
- Currently handled by John Meyers and only tracks Red Cards. Going to discuss taking that responsibility into the board, but need to talk to John first. Currently if someone is suspended for a certain number of matches it is honor code to let the union know when that suspension is over. All seemed to be in favor of getting written guidelines. USA rugby just released a webinar on this topic and Amanda Cox is going to review and report back best practices.
- Two Ref courses are coming up and the union will promote these and similar events to it’s members.
- Rucktoberfest has a women’s ref initiative tied to it and the union desires that the tournament is successful and continues to provide opportunities for growth for collegiate women. Currently would like to see more women’s teams entered, but the hurricane has hurt a number of teams as we are all aware. It is a collegiate event and not open to women’s club.
- The SERRS refs have a monthly webinar and Amanda will try and get those notes to the union to provide to the clubs. She is seeing this work with other leagues and we all agreed it would be very helpful.
- SERRS has a feedback form for refs. It is reviewed by a head group of SERRS and relevant and pertinent information is given to the ref in the form of coaching.
- Development Opportunities
- The teams at the AGM wanted more development opportunities, including coaching and administration. It would be good to have a 1 day or weekend.
- T. Hardy Working on a marketing 101 webinar available to all the clubs.
Came in for referee course and for equipment.
The board decided to make a policy that all ref courses would be reimbursed after a set number of matches were refereed. A. Cox to work on writing the policy and then it will be published and posted to the website.
The equipment request from Western Carolina is going need to be resubmitted. Request was to cover tournament fees, scrum caps for all of their players, and a tackling ring. Discussion on request followed. We do not want to get into paying for tournament fees and personal equipment as that is a slippery slope and does little to advance the overall mission of our grants. A. George to contact the club, discuss with them, and resubmit the grant.
No grants will be paid out without receipts.
$63,028.64 in the bank, waiting on final receipt of payment from USAR for this season.
Expecting about $28,000 in membership dues.
The union is responsible for the congress travel this year, and once every four years. Our congress people are Mathew Midgett (GA) and Martin Gardner (FL).
The union is going to purchase some supplies that are needed and marketing material.
Really want to be more involved in helping the teams we serve be successful and for our board to be present. David Morris has already reached out to over 20 clubs and is continuing to reach out to the rest.
The union is going to purchase accounting software in order to have more transparency and keep accurate books.
The plan is to have annual operation budget and to begin to draw down the $63,000 over a period of 5 to 10 years to the betterment of the union and its members.
For women’s neutral site matches there are a couple of reimbursement options, there were 12 matches affected and 7 or 8 of them decided to take $100 travel reimbursement and the rest are playing neutral fields. Going to clear up policy on those, but it is for Field rental only, not refs and etc. The designated Home team will be accountable to turning in those receipts for the neutral site matches. The board will work out a form for submitting those on the union website.
Communications (R. Bortins)
We plan on sending the approved minutes to the clubs as well as put on our website. We want to be transparent.
We need to do a better job letting people know about the website (http://carolinasrugby.com/ bookmark it!).
We also have a twitter account @carolinasrugby
We need to let the clubs know we want to help them run successful tournaments, through promoting them and being at them, not necessarily financial support. David Morris really wants to know what the clubs are doing and how we can support their efforts. We want people to be informed about tournaments in our area. We need to support clubs and their development.
Suggested a development weekend where we bring in top administrators and coaches and provide teams tools to bring back to their club. Possibly hosted over the winter break. Need to look at timelines.
Select sides, want to hold off on 15s and support 7s. Need to find people who have the skill and willingness to help.
Discussed sending teams to Vegas 7s and to look at other opportunities. Putting together a successful trip and program takes a lot of administrative work.
We discussed increasing the budget for these programs, but nothing was decided. T. Hardy to look at the budget and see where we may have areas to increase the select side budgets.
Working with Rugby Relief and USAR to help raise awareness of rugby related devastation that Hurricane Florence left behind and to help those clubs and individuals who may be in need. More focused on raising awareness for different fundraising going on. The board put out an idea of having a rugby work weekend or two where players could go to devastated areas and help out those clubs affected. Going to look into further.
The board is going to plan month meetings over conference call and then periodically meet face to face throughout the year.