CGRU Promotion & Relegation Policy
Promotion and Relegation
Men’s Club Divisions 15s only
The following regulations apply to Senior Men’s Club teams in good standing with the Carolinas Geographic Rugby Union, which competes in Division 2 and Division 3 of USA Rugby. This policy will be in effect for the 2017/2018 CGRU season and future seasons.
A club’s Divisional team shall be automatically promoted to the next highest available division if, at the end of the current season:
- The team won the USA Rugby National Championship in their current division OR
- The team won the CGRU title in their current division for the second consecutive year OR
- The team won the CGRU title in their current division AND had an average point differential of +28 points/game or greater in league games within that division.
A club’s Divisional team shall be automatically relegated to the next lowest available division if, at the end of the current season:
- The team finished last in their current division for the second consecutive year OR
- The team finished with an average point differential of 28 points/game or worse in league games within that division for the second consecutive year OR
- The team finished last in their current division AND had an average point differential of 28 points/game or worse in league games within that division OR
- The team forfeited more than one league match in their current division due to insufficient numbers or refusal to play scheduled matches.
Exception: promotion or relegation is not automatic if the result is two teams from the same club competing in the same division. If the relegation of a club’s A team will result in that team being in the same division as their B team, their B team will also be relegated.
It is possible for more than one team in a given division to be promoted or relegated within the same year. Club teams that are not in good standing, e.g. failure to comply with USA Rugby registration requirements, may be relegated even if none of the above criteria apply.
Promotion at the Conclusion of the 2016/2017 Season
In order to rebuild the number of teams in Division 2 and improve parity in Division 3, at the conclusion of the 2016/2017 season, the four (4) Division 3 playoff semifinalist teams will be promoted to Division 2, notwithstanding the provisions above. For the 2017/2018 season and beyond, the provisions set forth above will apply.
Appeals and voluntary promotion/relegation
A club may appeal automatic promotion or relegation or it may request voluntary promotion or relegation to a new division. Criteria that may be considered by the CGRU Board of Directors when ruling on an appeal may include, but are not limited to: forfeits, margin of loss/victory, club size and location, coaching, anticipated player turnover, past performance, and whether the club fields teams in other divisions. Request for promotion or relegation is not a guarantee that it will be approved. In the event that a voluntary request for relegation is approved and the club meets promotion qualifications the following season, they will be promoted and denied any voluntary requests for relegation for at least one year.
Procedure and Notice
The CGRU will notify all clubs of the preliminary divisional alignments for the upcoming competitive cycle no later than 15 days after the completion of the USA Rugby Club Championships. Each club shall then have 10 days in which to submit a written appeal regarding the division in which any of its teams have been placed. The CGRU Board of Directors will rule on any appeals and notify all clubs of the final divisional alignment no later than June 30th.